Monday, June 26, 2006

Great Now I'm Depressed.

So I just finished Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go and while I think the novel is fantastic and beautiful and throughout reading I couldn't put it down, I'm officially depressed, or maybe not depressed really just sort of sad and thoughtful. Its about a young woman who is recalling her childhood at what seemed like an idyllic countryside boarding school, but then slowly and subtly the book gets darker and darker and the things that seemed fairly innocent on the surface just get sinister. I must admit that I figured out what was going on early on in the book and embarrassingly that was due to the fact that it reminded me of 'The Island', that film with Scarlet Johansson. If you've seen that film and are also interested in reading the book sorry I gave it away.
__
Anyway, I just found myself thinking and pondering. The idea of cloning people for vital organs gives me the willies and the fact that even though it doesn't happen now, it could happen. One of the things that came up in the book is how ordinary people convinced themselves that the clones weren't really human, that they had no souls and therefore it wasn't worth worrying about hurting them or anything like that. I read about the same sort of thing happening during slavery. Had me thinking about how awful people can really be and of how much we can lie to ourselves. I do like novels like that though. It's good when something makes you think and not just about the subject matter but about other things as well. I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes to nudged out of everyday acceptance, because that's what the novel can do to you. Makes you want to do something because the characters in the book just don't and its frustrating.
__
__
__
What I'm Listening To: World Cup highlights...Not music

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home