Friday, November 16, 2007

The Lady of Leisure

There is a wonderful feeling you get just after you quit a soul killing job. When this feeling of absolute freedom passes over you and your first thought is 'Great, now I can get on with my real life, start my real career.'

That lasts about a day.

Then the worry sets in. I don't have a job, how will I keep myself in fashionable clothes and ridiculous shoes. Not forgetting food and all that other stuff. You go on interview after interview, and things begin to look bleak. This is where I am at today. The first few weeks after quitting my job, I was all pro active. Getting up early, posting CV's, keeping myself in high spirits. Today I got up at one pm, didn't have a shower and watched Friends all day while I ate cereal right out of the box.

I am in a funk, a rut. One that I need to climb out of pronto. They do say that recognising your problem is the first step in solving it. So here I am recognising. Step one is down. Step two... I don't know what step two is. Everything I've ever learned I got off TV. At this point in the show there would be a wonderful montage of our main character being all competent and strutting around in great outfits, talking to people and bumping into a high powered business executive who recognises her extreme potential in one glance and whisks her off to the high life. Where the hell is my montage and upbeat poppy soundtrack? What the hell is this 'real life' people keep harping on about?

Bloody TV, giving me unrealistic expectations.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, welcome to my world. Currently unemployed, waiting for an interview which will never happen...and bored senseless with sitting around the house all day.

ARGH.

But well done for quitting your crap job. And ebay is good for cheap shoes.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I have no ideas about getting out of a rut, although I think being strict about sticking to a working life type routine is good. ie be tough on yourself and make yourself get up at worktime, dress like you are going to work and go out and - not sure what then?

But Jo is right about ebay and the shoes! perhaps a bit of retail therapy might be the answer - if you get a real bargain you will def feel better.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Karissa said...

Hmmm, Thanks guys for your comments. I think I agree with you both. Even though I am a recovering ebay addict, shopping is always a good idea.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home